Epsom, a town situated in the county of Surrey, south-westernLondon. Maintaining significance due to its close relationship with those inseats of power during Anglo-Saxon England and further-on, with royalty, even inpresent times.
This eventually allows the town to flourish to an established borough.Epsom clock tower has remained in the position that it stands now in excess of300 years, within close proximity of the markets at the town centre, yet it hadnot always maintained it current form for those centuries. It’s mid-1600’sEpsom spa and a newly constructed Watch-house stands over the markets, howeverfor 17th century Britain, the architectural style was still thoughto be somewhat outdated as it resembled Anglo-Saxon architectural style, astyle which was nearing the end of its days along with vernacular architecture,a style associated with farm-like, folk architecture as suggested by Frank LloydWright.
The style made use of materials that were available on immediate demandand locally, considering Vernacular style was more focused on function thanAesthetics. Most commonly timber-frame constructions were utilised however in eventswere resources such as these, were not available locally, mud and stone mayhave also been utilised. Ultimately, the watch-house being built in this stylemade sense as it was more about the buildings functionality and use. Theinhabitants of Epsom spa made use of this construct, where the functionalities weresplit into two priorities part base for fire service and part provisionaljailing.It has now come to mid-19th century and the town ofEpsom has been developed as have the neighbouring lands and there is no longer anyneed for certain uses of the watch-house, so it is stripped bare for the saleof its core materials alongside the time-piece that was once elevated above thetown and the Fire engine. In 1847 a premise had been set to rebuild in the formof a clock tower, with a limit of 40 feet in height and conserve on cost to amaximum of £350. Winners of the contract, were architects, Henry Hodge andJames Butler with their design towering at approximately 21 metres and the exposedvoid at the top for the new time-piece at 1.
3 metres. Principal materials wereto be composed of red/Suffolk brick and finishes to be applied to the outside aspects.At each corner a sculptured lion comprised of Caen Stone a pale colouredlimestone discovered in France, once more an outdated feature was being usedhowever Caen stone had historical significance especially with religious buildingswithin the European region, this may have been the reason for its use in thisdesign, considering even at this point religious communities had immenseinfluence on architectural styles. The newly designed clocktower showed clearaspects of the Georgian style as well as the emerging Victorian stylepresenting elements of Classicism, Gothic and Renaissance Revival, styles inwhich the Palace of Westminster is designed in however with the progression ofthe industrial revolution materials now considered for internal aspects ofstructures consisted of iron and steel frames.