Electric shocks happen when a person gets in contact with high voltage. The effect electric shocks have on people can be harmful for instant, if a person was electrocuted with a very high voltage then it could cause death because the rhythm of the heart would be disturbed or in some cases the current can stop the heart from beating and cause a cardiovascular arrest. Electrical shocks can cause burns. If the voltage was not too high, then burns can be found just on top of the skin. But if a high voltage was to shock a person then it could cause internal burns. Such as burns to the organs that can affect the heart. The burns which are caused by electric shocks can cause organ failure which results in death and if a person was to survive then recovery would be long and painful. Moreover, neurological effect is another factor which can be harmful to the human body. This is when electric shocks disturb the nervous control effecting on heart and lungs. When electric shocks disturb the nervous system, it doesn’t in most cases leads to death but can make a person be unconscious. It also, effects the chest when 50 or 60 Hz is passed through the chest. It results in ventricular fibrillation. This has to be treated as soon as possible as it can cause the heart muscle to beat fast and loose its normal rhyme. If too much is passed through the chest then it can stop the heart from beating as soon as it has travelled to the chest.
The following are the most common effects of electric shocks:
· A person is most likely to collapse
· Muscle contractions which can lead to fractures, loss if consciousness or joint being dislocated.
· Paralyze to the respiratory system and irregular heart beat or stop heart from beating completely. Death of tissue at entry and exit points of the current. Presence of edema as the blood at the point semisolid and the muscle swell up.
· Drop in blood pressure, can cause problems in the fluid and electrolyte balance can release myoglobin and it can results in kidney failure.
Fires are mostly started in mains wires (homes, buildings) or due to manufacture failure. Damaged outlets, equipment start fires and old outdated apparatus. Others can be started by problems in cords, receptacles and switches. Cords that have been damaged should not be near floors, curtains and rugs as it is most likely can start off fires. And cords under rugs can cause fires which can be dangerous. Most the fires are started by people who do not follow the instructions of an electrical equipment. Extension leads can cause fire and portable heaters also start fires. The impact that fires have on humans is that it can cause severe burns which can cause the skin of the surface to burn and internal burns can be caused. This causes the body tissues to be scarred which means dead is most likely to occur and then the fibrous tissues are instead replaced with the dead tissue.
Dc and Ac:
Ac and dc both are harmful to the body, but the symptoms are slightly different depending on the voltage if it is high then there is more risk than it is low. It also, effects on the amount of current, time of flow and pathway current. It is said to be that ac current is more harmful to a human than dc because more dc currents are needed to make the same harmful effect that ac current would have. This is because more milliamps are required in DC as it is a flow of current in one direction so if a person was to get an electric shock from the hand or feet then it wouldn’t be so bad as it doesn’t cross the heart, but still the person would have a lot of internal burns which could lead to death. With AC it’s not as simple as the current flows in all directions so when a person is electrocuted with AC current then it is most likely the current has been to the heart which can stop the heart from working and lead to death. The series of contraction is dependent on the amount of frequency that is applied to the human body. Also, more milliamps are required from DC current then AC even if it is the same voltage.